Transocean rig heading for Phoenix South well

0

The Transocean-owned semi-submersible drilling rig GSF Development Driller-1 has started the final leg of its journey from Port Louis (Mauritius) to Australia for the task of drilling the Phoenix South-3 well for Quadrant Energy.

Quadrant is the operator of the Phoenix project off Western Australia with an 80% interest with Carnarvon Petroleum holding the remaining 20%.

Carnarvon said in a market update that slower than anticipated towing speeds had delayed the rig’s arrival, which was now scheduled for late March for drilling in early April.

The rig was in South Africa at the beginning of February for maintenance before heading to Australia.

The Phoenix South-3 well – located 560 metres from the Phoenix South-2 well – will assess the gas and condensate discovered at the top of the Caley interval in the Phoenix South-2 well.

The Phoenix South structure at the Caley interval is estimated to contain a gross mean recoverable prospective resource of 489 Bscf of gas and 57 million barrels of associated condensate (being 143 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe), gross, Pmean).

The estimated condensate-to-gas ratio is very significant and is based on surface gas sampling from a permeable section at the top of the Caley Sandstone encountered while drilling the Phoenix South-2 well, Carnarvon said.

The gas and condensate is in addition to what was already discovered and initially appraised in the Roc structure, also in the Caley interval. That structure is estimated to contain a gross contingent resource (2C) of 332 Bscf of gas and 19 million barrels of associated condensate (being 74 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe), gross, 2C).

Share.

About Author

Editor of PESA News

Leave A Reply