Elevated gas readings illuminate Roc-2

0

noble-tom-prosserCarnarvon Petroleum has reported encountering gas traces at its Roc-2 well offshore Western Australia.
The Perth-based junior explorer announced that at around 3,250m a 10m section of elevated gas readings and moderate fluorescence was observed across a sandstone interbed within the Upper Keraudren, consistent with residual hydrocarbons.
The Roc-2 well is located within WA-437-P, in which Carnarvon holds a 20% interest with Quadrant Energy, the operator, holding the remaining 80%.
Carnarvon said that slightly deeper in the well, at around 3,360m depth, elevated gas readings and minor fluorescence were observed in the Cossigny limestone.
“This hydrocarbon fluorescence has regional interest because it is the first case of hydrocarbons migrating above and within the Cossigny and increases the exploration potential of the area,” Carnarvon said.
The well is in the process of cementing a 13⁵⁄₈″ intermediate casing, where after a further 12¼″ section will be drilled to just above the primary Caley target and a 9⁵⁄₈″ drilling liner will be placed across this open hole to enable the well to drill its deeper targets.
The Huxley and Barret formations are expected to be encountered in the 12¼″ hole section. The Barret sands previously encountered at the Phoenix South-1 were found to be oil charged and water wet at Roc-1, where hydrocarbon shows were observed in the Huxley sands.
“Further data on this potential reservoir section with expand the exploration portfolio outside this well, particularly for prospects outside this area such as Bandy,” Carnarvon said.
The Caley sands were gas and condensate charged in Roc-1 and this zone is expected to be cored later this month or in early September. The JV expects to report on whether the target formations are hydrocarbon-bearing, and the extent of any reservoir sands intersected, after completion of a drilling wiper trip with logging while drilling tools on completion of the coring process.

Share.

About Author

Editor of PESA News

Leave A Reply